17 October 2003
Ch. 19 Review 1-9 Pg. 504
- Why was there discontent with the old regime in France?
There was discontent with the old regime in France because from rich to poor, members of the Third Estate resented the privileges enjoyed by their social betters. The best jobs were saved for nobles, while urban workers earned miserable wages and the rise in the prices of food could mean starvation.
- Why did a crowd storm the Bastille?
A crowd stormed the Bastille because they wanted weapons and gunpowder, and the crowed believed that the Bastille was where these items were stored. The commander of the Bastille refused to open the gates and opened fire on the crowd.
- What was the slogan of the French Revolution?
The slogan of the French Revolution was Liberty, Equality, Fraternity.
- What happened to Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette in 1793?
In 1793 Louis XVI and Marie Antoinette were beheaded and prosecuted.
- What was the Reign of Terror?
The Reign of Terror lasted from about July 1973 to July 1974 and was where revolutionary courts conducted hasty trials. Around 40, 000 people died during the Terror.
- List the reforms that Napoleon made as leader of France.
The reforms that Napoleon made as a leader of France were that he regulated the economy which controlled prices, encouraged new industry, and built roads and canals. TO ensure well-trained officials and military officers, he promoted a system of public schools under strict government control.
- How did Napoleon try to increase French power in Europe?
Napoleon tried to increase French power in Europe by building a grand empire in his name and creating rapid size increases by overpowering other empires and expanding his own..
- What was the result of Napoleons invasion of Russia?
The result of Napoleons invasion of Russia was that the Russian armies ran in and retreated from Napoleon, however in doing this they burned all the crops, leaving Napoleon and his men starving. Napoleons reputation for success, was shattered.
- How did the Congress of Vienna try to restore the balance of power in Europe?
The Congress of Vienna tried to restore the balance of power in Europe by protecting the system of monarchy. The Congress did this by redrawing the map and joining countries together to make a stronger France.